How can you get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more sophisticated model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased family member: your used hearing aids should be donated rather than throwing them away.
There are a lot of people dealing with loss of hearing who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and a few organizations out there that collect and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Approximately 14% of the total population, suffers from loss of hearing
- Of all of the adults suffering from loss of hearing 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would help nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of individuals over 70 who require hearing aids have ever had them
I think we should be worried. Because health issues like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated hearing loss. The importance of your hearing to your general health is backed up by new research being released all of the time. These health issues can be avoided and in certain situations reversed by hearing aids.
And the last convincing point is that loss of hearing can cost the average family $12,000 in earnings each year. But that cost can actually be lessened by as much as 50% by using hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it might just not be feasible for them to afford a hearing aid.
Your old hearing aid can make an enormous impact, in the overall health, quality of life and financial stability, for an individual in need who couldn’t otherwise afford a hearing aid. It may also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by many manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the right recycling choice for you. Or you can just give us a call.